Surya Mudra | Steps, Benefits and More
Updated: Oct 8, 2021
Surya Mudra is a Sanskrit term where Surya means ‘sun’ and mudra means ‘gesture’. Surya Mudra is a hand gesture that expands the fire element and eradicates the earth element from
the body. Also known as “Agni mudra” due to its property of increasing the fire element.
This is a very popular posture in yoga wherein, Surya mudra is performed by bending both ring fingers and placing the tips of them on the bases of the thumbs. When the thumbs(represents the fire) apply gentle pressure on the top of the ring fingers(represents the earth), it indicates the elimination of the earth element by the fire element.
How to perform Surya Mudra?
The steps to perform Surya Mudra are as follows:
1. Sit in a comfortable position. Prefer sitting on a mat rather than on the floor.
2. Place your hands on your thighs or knee. Make the palms face upwards, towards the roof.
3. Close your eyes. Take some deep breaths.
4. Next, fold your ring finger and try to press it with your thumb. If you are new to yoga, you may feel discomfort or pain while doing this. It goes away eventually with practice.
5. Put the ring finger in such a way that its tip touches the root of your thumb.
6. Keep the other three fingers stretched.
7. Apply tolerable pressure on your ring finger using your thumb. The more you press, the more your fire element increases. Do not overdo it.
8. Repeat the same process simultaneously on the other hand too.
It is advised to practice this mudra every day for about 30 to 45 minutes, you can do either all at once or three times a day for 10 to 15 minutes; however, it should not be overperformed as this could cause excessive heat in the body leading to other health issues.
Benefits of doing Surya Mudra:
● Surya Mudra for weight loss - it is directly linked to weight loss for the body since it metabolizes the fire element and reduces the earth element from the human body. It helps control our hunger and sleep which are directly linked with the main causes of weight loss. It also controls the amount of cholesterol in the body and detoxifies it.
● Surya Mudra for preventing diseases - it helps cure major diseases prevailing such as diabetes and thyroid. The thyroid helps us maintain the metabolism in the body, this mudra helps in curing thyroid problems and gives some amazing results. It reduces the space element which in turn regulates the hormonal imbalances.
It also helps control diabetes, where the blood sugar levels of the body may decrease or increase drastically. Surya Mudra helps in maintaining cholesterol by affecting the inner heat and energy balance of the body, thus curing diabetes.
Side Effects of Surya Mudra:
● Since we are now familiar with the fact that Surya mudra increases the heat in our body, so if you are suffering from fever then you should avoid performing this mudra as it will increase the temperature further.
● Don't perform this if you are underweight as it will further decrease your body weight.
● Avoid this if you are suffering from a hand injury as you have to use your hands and it may worsen the situation for you.
● Keep proper ventilation while doing this, as in the summers, it could heat up your body.
Just keep in mind all the above points and perform this amazing mudra and keep yourself healthy and fit.